Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Why the 6 hour plan ride is worth it














Abigail Barnstone- Newton, MA


One of the reasons I chose to come to Pitzer is its location.  I would say 99% of the liberal arts colleges I looked at were in the middle of nowhere…. until I looked at Pitzer.   I love that Pitzer is within Los Angeles County, but forty-five minutes away from the actual city.  This way you get a nice, quiet and safe place to attend school and access to one of the biggest cities in the world.  It also makes Pitzer a school where people emphasize community: Pitzer is not a suitcase school.  We do explore the area, but we tend to do it together.  For the next few weeks I am going to tell you about my favorite places to go in Los Angeles.  This week is West LA.

If you talk to any of my friends, they will tell you that I am in Love with Santa Monica.  It is the perfect balance of beachy, city and artsy.  Not to mention the food is amazing.  At the beginning of the semester a few friends and I ventured to the Santa Monica Farmers Market where I ate the best Panini I have ever had in my life and washed it down with some coconut water, out of a real coconut.  After I finished that we hit the beach were we boogie boarded, sun-bathed, surfed and swam.  If was a nice treat and a really great spot to do some school work.  I mean who doesn’t want to do their homework on the beach?!

What I love most about Santa Monica is that is also right next to Venice.  Specifically, I really love to go shopping on Abbot Kinney Blvd.  There are tons of really unique shops and some head turning street art.  It is a fun atmosphere weather you are just trying to window shop and hang out or buy something.  Personally I am more of the window-shopping kind of gal because the prices are pretty high over there.





No comments: