Thursday, November 21, 2013

Why I chose Pitzer
















Enrique Romero – Richmond, CA

Being the first in my family to go to college, I wanted to pick a school where I knew that I would be welcomed to the community while simultaneously providing me with the necessary resources to excel academically and socially. I distinctly remember moving in to Pitzer and seeing a crowd of current students creating a cheering tunnel that first year students had to pass through. Through the “Welcome to Pitzer” chants and high fives that the students gave to my family and me, I knew I had picked the right place!

The first time I visited Pitzer was through the Pitzer Diversity Program in the fall. This all-expense paid trip flew me down from the Bay Area to Claremont, where I was able to get a first-hand look at what I initially thought was the school with the funny name. Through staying with a current student, attending information sessions, getting a chance to explore the Claremont area, and meeting other prospective students, I was able to understand the type of environment that exists at Pitzer. After completing the program, I left knowing that Pitzer was one of few schools that would allow me to truly be myself.
                  
To me, college isn’t just about leaving home for the first time to know the meaning of freedom and “living life.” To me, college is also the opportunity to advance in my education and become a role model for my younger family members, specifically my little sister. I needed a place that would provide me with the necessary independence from my family, while also allowing me to discover my passions to bring a positive change to my life and the life of my family. Being a first-generation college student, I realize that Pitzer is definitely the place where I can nurture myself into the person I want to be while simultaneously making my family proud. There’s no other college I’d rather be at than at Pitzer, which I now consider my second home!

No comments: