Tuesday, October 1, 2013

An Admission Process That's About YOU!

Here's a little story that might make you feel better about your college application process. When I was seventeen years old and informed by my teachers that it was time to apply to college, I had no idea where to begin. There were no websites that would help me narrow down the list of schools or social networking sites that would connect me to others to learn more. I learned about the college I eventually chose by borrowing a VHS tape from my school and playing it over and over again. I only applied to 4 schools and forgot to send part two of the application to several of them! I wrote my college applications with a pen and when I made a mistake I would use "white out." I was so nervous about this process that I once called the admission office of a college and hung up the phone when the counselor picked up because I thought she might be writing down everything I said and using it against me in my application!

Well times sure have changed and your college search process certainly does not have to be this way! There are an outstanding number of resources to help students today and counselors are always excited to speak to you about your hopes and dreams. I share my story with you because the admission and financial aid staff at Pitzer College knows how complicated and emotional this process can be. We dedicate our life's work to helping young people and their families navigate the journey to higher education.

If you are reading this, you are probably a student embarking on the college admission process, or a family member wanting to know more about Pitzer College. I hope that as you explore these blog posts, you learn more about what makes Pitzer an extraordinary place.

At Pitzer, we are eager to find the next generation of socially responsible and engaged citizens of the world. We seek students who are ready for a global education and want to use their degrees to make a difference in the lives of others. Whether it's through medicine, art, music, math, science, film or writing, students are using their Pitzer education to stay ahead of the curve and learn ways to best tackle our world's problems. Our community is built on five core values that shape everything we do. If this kind of education excites you, Pitzer College may just be the right college for you.

My goal is to make sure that you have as much information as you need and that my staff and I personalize this process for you. To that end, it is my pleasure to re-introduce Admission Unpeeled, the blog you’re currently reading. So much of the admission process is about stories, and our goal is to showcase the stories of the people that make Pitzer what it is: our students. Our students are a diverse group of young people who have had some wonderful experiences, experiences they are eager to share with you. With each new post, I hope you will learn more about what makes Pitzer a special environment for the students who call it home.

Finally, I know that choosing a college can be emotional, but I believe this process can be exhilarating. And remember, it's ok to be a little selfish. If you are a student, this process is about exploring what is most important to you. I'm sure many people will give you advice about college, but in the end, the one having to live that experience will be you. Shut off all the noise and listen to the person who knows best – YOU. If along the way, you find out that Pitzer may be one of the schools that "fits" you, my staff and I look forward to working with you.
 
Sincerely,
 
Angel B. Perez
Vice President and Dean of Admission and Financial Aid
Pitzer College

No comments: