Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Introducing Natasha Cheng


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Natasha Cheng - Hong Kong
 
Hi! My name is Natasha Cheng and I am a sophomore at Pitzer. I am born and raised in Hong Kong but this is my fifth year studying in the United States. I went to boarding school in the rural areas of New England for 3 years and absolutely loved it but I was also ready to get a whole new experience.
 
I was so nervous coming into college; I thought I was going to have a hard time adapting. I was worried I wasn’t going to make friends. Something about going to college was not right but I could not put my finger to it. It made me contemplate if Pitzer was even the right school for me.

I was proved wrong the moment I stepped onto the Pitzer’s campus on move-in day. The minute I stepped out of the car, I was greeted by three mentors offering to help me move although I had only two suitcases. There were welcoming signs everywhere. I was also greeted by a tunnel of energetic Orientation Leaders, Mentors and RAs as I enter to check-in area. They were screaming, shouting and cheering for every single new student who walked through. To be honest, I was slightly intimidated and overwhelmed. I got to my door and found my door filled with welcome notes. They were all handwritten by my mentors, sponsors and RAs. I felt so special that day.

Once I got to my room, I thought I was free at last to do my thing, unpack my room but I was wrong again. There were knocks on my door, they had come for me! Just kidding, my sponsors had a goodie bag for me, my RA gave me a big sweaty hug and my mentors gave me a life emergency kit, which was this little pouch of dental floss, safety pins and a pack of tissue. I guess that’s what you need when you are in an emergency crisis at Pitzer? Well, I have yet to experience one but I’ll keep you posted if I do.

No comments: